March 8, 2010

DRIVE page comps






Here is the first cut at the layout comps for DRIVE. The book will be 9" x 11" landscape format. The same as Start Your Engines and Lift Off. As of now the thought is to have a big zoom-in shot for each chapter break that is printed full bleed with text floating over the top. The sketch page comps are mostly about changing the color of the sketches and the background. I'm leaning away from the very clean look of art against white pages for this book. I'm liking the texture and warmth of a toned page.

7 comments:

g said...

looking awesome! :) i like the top one the best

scoro said...

Thanks Gab.
Yeah that is my number one direction right now as well.

Ben Mauro said...

Looks fantastic scott, cannot wait!

Danny Gardner said...

I'm liken the top warm/cool comp as well. I also like the direction your taking with your style tests below, maybe somehow you could integrate warm/cool color in those too? Might look a little too cheesey photoshop hue shifty though... I love this book already, can't wait to own a copy!

Sparth said...

same here scott.
top version, there's an extra wow effect coming from the complementary contrast. can't wait to see new things!

i took the same commitment with my blog. no more silence. :)

Tom Scholes said...

Gorgeous. Part of me likes the warm on warm, but perhaps that's just in abstract ... :)

scoro said...

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the cool on warm as I have roughed out more pages now and I like the look.

Tom, I tried the warm on warm like an old sepia print or brown ink drawing but I thought it detracted from the sci fi nature of the vehicles. It was my first direction, but after seeing the cool on warm I think it gives it a little modern snap not expected or too similar to the traditional sepia look.